Low self-esteem is a vicious cycle that can leave you feeling unmotivated to change what is making you feel down in the first place. Everyone has bad days, but if you do not have the confidence to try to change the root cause of your negative feelings, then your low self-esteem will continue to hold you back from living the life you desire and deserve. Fortunately, there are things that you can do to break this negative cycle.
1. Make a list of all of your accomplishments. It can be easy to forget all of the things you’ve achieved so making a list of your accomplishments for you to reflect on from time to time will help you to redirect negative self-talk by replacing it with reminders of all the wonderful things you are capable of doing.
2. Learn a new skill. You can get stuck in a pattern of negative thinking when you can’t see any meaningful change or progress happening in your life. When you learn a new skill, your self-confidence will grow because you will see that you are talented and capable of more than just your day to day routine.
3. Do something creative. Creativity helps to stimulate your brain, so find something creative to do that you enjoy and let your mind wander. It’s not so much about the end result as it is about the process so remember to have fun!
4. Determine your core values. When we live out of line with the things we value and believe, we will not feel very good about ourselves. Learning who you are and what you stand for, and then living in accordance with those values will undoubtedly increase your confidence.
5. Help someone. When you help someone else, you’ll feel confident and a sense of achievement. Think about some of your talents and interests and put them to use through volunteering in your community or helping a friend or family member.
6. Get inspired. There are many books, articles, and podcasts that focus on the stories of others who have overcome issues or setbacks, and these stories can inspire you to do the same. Inspirational stories are a great way to shift your perspective on challenges from negative to positive.
7. Take care of your appearance. Self-care is not selfish! Treating yourself with love and respect is a must if you want to build your confidence. When you respect yourself, you not only feel good about yourself, but you also establish a standard for how you allow others to treat you.
8. Focus on what you can change. Some things in life are out of our control and getting stuck on these aspects of life is not only futile, but also frustrating and bad for your confidence. When you focus your energy on the things you can control, you will see results and your confidence will soar.
9. Stop worrying about what others think. The one person whose opinion matters is your own! When you are living a life that aligns with your core values, you will be the most confident version of yourself. The opinions of others cannot bring you down if you know that you are on the right path!
10. Avoid negative people. There will inevitably be people in your life who always seem to bring you down. It may be best to let those people go, or to at least limit your interactions with them. Find the people that lift you up and surround yourself with those positive people as often as you can. Positivity is contagious!