“It’s not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you’re not!” – Denis Waitley
Low self-esteem can negatively impact all aspects of your life. It can trap you in a vicious, unhealthy cycle of self-doubt that will only lead to you feeling progressively worse. If you struggle with your self-esteem, you must identify the root of the issues that are negatively affecting you so you can work to resolve and move past the things that are holding you back from living a CONFIDENT, EMPOWERED LIFE. I have some techniques to share with you today that will help you to focus on the positive things and the things that you can control so you can break out of negative thought patterns, shift your mindset away from negative self-talk, boost your self-esteem and feel your confidence SOAR!
1. Learn a new skill. When we accomplish things, we feel good. Pick something that you are interested in learning and stick with it. Each day, you will get better at this new skill and you will feel proud of yourself for the progress you are making.
2. List your accomplishments. Everyone has accomplishments but it is easy to forget some of your achievements, especially when you are feeling down. Make a list of your accomplishments so you always have something uplifting to refer to when you need it. Update your list periodically and read over it a few times a week so you always remember the great things you’ve accomplished.
3. Get creative. Creativity stimulates the mind and is a great cognitive exercise. Even if you don’t consider yourself to be creative type, you will find that engaging in some type of creative activity is mentally stimulating and therapeutic at the same time.
4. Define your values. When you live your life aligned with your personal values, you will feel happy and confident. Sometimes the source of our unhappiness comes from our current lifestyle becoming out of step with our core values. Think about the things that are important to you. Write them down and consider what changes you can make in order to live a lifestyle that is more closely aligned with the things you feel are important.
5. Think positive. You CAN think positive, even in the worst of times. What we choose to think is our choice so even when times are tough, we have control over our thoughts and our minds. Create a positive mantra that you can repeat to yourself when negative thinking starts to happen.
6. Help someone or volunteer. Being kind to others is a great self-esteem boost. When we make others feel good, we feel good as well. Offer to help out a friend, do a nice thing for a stranger, or consider volunteering with an organization that aligns with your personal values.
7. Eliminate negative people. Everyone is allowed to have a bad day, but there are some people that are just not good for you. If you have people in your life that consistently put you down or put you in a negative frame of mind, ask yourself why it is that you feel the need to spend time with those people. If you can’t think of a good reason, it may be time to distance yourself from those negative people or let them go altogether.
8. Take care of your health. If you feel physically poor, your mental state will suffer. Eating healthy food and getting exercise each day will positively impact your self-esteem and your self-image. Exercising as little as 20 minutes per day will have a positive impact on your health and will help you manage any stress you may be feeling.
9. Focus on what you can control. Let’s face it, some things in life are just out of our control so there is nothing to be gained from wasting our time worrying about them. Fortunately, there are lots of things we can control, such as how we allow ourselves to react and respond to situations. When you are faced with circumstances beyond your control, pause and reflect on the things you CAN control so you can take charge and make adjustments.
By incorporating these strategies into your daily routine, you will feel your self-esteem grow and your confidence increase as well. You may not feel a huge change overnight, but if you stick with these strategies, you WILL notice the improvement. When you are confident in yourself and your ability to succeed, you are UNSTOPPABLE!