Fear and Self-doubt are two things that everyone will struggle with at some point in their lives. They are also the main obstacles we must overcome in order to achieve success and happiness so it is important to develop a healthy strategy to combat those feelings when they arise. When you begin to doubt yourself, know that you are not alone and that there are steps you can take to work through those feelings and come out stronger on the other side.
1) Identify the source of your fear. In the context of modern society, our fears are rarely about our lives being in actual danger. It is more likely that what you are feeling stems from a fear of failure or rejection. Instead of allowing the fear to overcome you, take control by figuring out exactly what it is that you are afraid of so that you can start addressing it.
2) Confront your fears one step at a time. Facing our fears doesn’t mean we have to do it all at once. For example, if you have a fear of public speaking, start by practicing a speech in front of your spouse or a friend who you trust and are comfortable with and keep working your way up from there.
3) Take action. Sometimes we can become paralyzed by our fear because our mind will have us thinking that things are worse than they actually are. Make a plan of action instead of allowing your imagination to amplify your fear and talk you out of trying to accomplish something.
4) Visualize yourself without fear. Practicing positive visualization helps you to see a clear path through the fear. Visualize yourself being unafraid and successful and doing the things that it takes to achieve that success. You will feel more comfortable with your course of action because you will have already seen yourself win!
5) Celebrate small successes. Don’t wait until the entire project is finished to give yourself the credit you deserve. Celebrating each step of the process and each small accomplishment will boost your confidence and keep you motivated and on the right track to success.
6) Be honest with yourself. When you find yourself afraid to take the next step, ask yourself, “What’s the worst that can happen?” Take an honest look at what you are potentially facing if things do not go as planned. It’s probably nothing you can’t handle with the right mindset!
7) Reach out for support. Just as you would ask for help when your car breaks down, you should ask for help when you feel overwhelmed. Reach out to a friend or get help form a professional. Sometimes just talking through the issue out loud to another person will give you peace of mind and the clarity you need to move forward.
While it is impossible to avoid uncomfortable situations and negative feelings such as fear, we are always in control of how we react and respond. When you are feeling afraid and overwhelmed, take a moment to breathe and tell yourself that you already have all the tools you need to conquer your fear!