How do you start your mornings?
The things you do first thing in the morning set the tone for the rest of your day. Creating the right morning routine will set you up for success because you will feel empowered and accomplished throughout your day.
When developing a morning routine, first consider your motivation and think about the person you want to be and the things you want to accomplish. Ask yourself if your current morning routine is supporting and enhancing your vision for the rest of your day. If you feel like there are some adjustments that need to be made, here are some of my suggestions for morning activities that you can add in place of the ones that are not serving your greater purpose.
1) Drink a glass of warm water with fresh lemon juice. Wake up to a nice refreshing glass of water to rehydrate your body from the night’s sleep and wake up your senses for the upcoming day. Adding fresh lemon juice will aid your body in detoxification.
2) Guided meditation. The ritual of starting your day with some breathing exercises and a guided meditation is a great way to energize your body and focus on setting your intention for the day.
3) Listen to something uplifting. Start your day off with positivity and something that you enjoy! Whether it’s music, a podcast, or an audiobook, that uplifting energy you get listening to something that makes you happy will carry on into the rest of your day.
4) Self-affirmation. Instead of immediately reaching for your phone or other device to check your emails or read the news, spend some quiet time talking to yourself in a positive, encouraging voice. For example, say, “I am capable of achieving my goals.” Or, “I am in charge of how I feel.”
5) Exercise. The mental and physical benefits of exercise can’t be ignored. Even a simple stretching routine incorporated into your mornings will elevate your mood, benefit your health, and increase your energy for the rest of the day.
6) Make a priority list. Our minds are freshest in the morning so it’s a good time to list your priorities so you can revisit them throughout your day when you lose focus or just need a reminder. List your to-do items in the order of importance starting with the most important task and ending with the least important task.
Life is unexpected and you might have other responsibilities that present themselves from time to time, so don’t pressure yourself to complete every activity in your morning routine each day. But, never underestimate the benefits of making time for yourself and focusing your intentions before starting your day. Whatever you do, remember that your morning routine is a gift to yourself so make it enjoyable!